The Sun is Gonna Shine Again






The song "Sun is Gonna Shine Again," from the musical Bright Star has been floating around in my mind recently -- and not just because it is incredibly repetitive. This song was a moment of persistent hope in the face of suffering in Bright Star. The community of women at the railway station move downstage in a line facing the audience, looking out at the tracks and reminding themselves and each other that the sun will shine again. 

Recently, on a hike with some folks from theatre, we came upon an old abandoned railroad station. It looked exactly like what I imagine this moment in Bright Star to be like. I stood on a ramp looking out past the train tracks at the rainy trees and grey, cloudy, sky. Only a few days ago, I had felt the senioritis slump hitting hard. But then, the sun came out. My mood, energy, and motivation rose significantly. I felt encouraged and reinspired to hit the last few weeks of school running hard. 

The sun faded after a few days and I continued to dress like summer in hopes of maintaining my motivation. It worked for a few days until break came and the rain and lack of rest hit my body hard. But being at this train station, looking out at the trees, dripping with rain, I was reminded that the sun is not gone forever. In the few moments of glorious sunshine off and on over the last few days, I've felt my heart soar. The tastes of sunshine reminded me what I had been without for so long.

As the rain has come again and the weather feels more like winter than spring, I realize now the importance of waiting on the sunshine. When the rain threatens to drench us in a torrential downpour we must remind ourselves and each other that the SUN WILL SHINE AGAIN. The sun's golden rays will warm our skin, shimmer through the trees and brighten our days. The rain is good. It nourishes the lush greens of Oregon and allows the impending flowers to bloom. It causes us to slow down, to rest and provides us the water we need to thrive. But these pretty flowers and our hearts need the sunshine too.

While the rain keeps pouring, I'll be singing of the sunshine.
The sun is gonna shine again friends.
Sincerely,
Sophi 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PB+J on the Beach

Welcome!!

His Mercies Are New Every Morning...and Year